Friday, November 30, 2012

The wheels on the van go round and round...

I might have underestimated the amount of driving involved on this adventure. We haven't been acomplishing huge mileage numbers, but we've been spending quite a bit of time every day on the road. Despite living in Hawaii for the past year, I am still not accustomed to how quickly it gets dark. I need to attach some more lighting around the Donkey to help with all that. I have some really cool LED's that should do the trick whenever I get around to it.









Crossed the Golden Gate Bridge, I can now cross that off my bucket list....















The weather is steadily getting warmer and we continue south, we're not into shorts territory yet but at 7:30am I'm only wearing a tshirt instead of the hoodie I usually have on. Said hoodie being the warmest piece of clothing I own in Hawaii. Cara still lives (including sleeping) in her Jacket. She would certianly appreciate me getting out heater working, but I don't think I'll have time to deal with it until it's no longer necessary.

California is full of farms, we've bought fresh produce a time or two from streetside vendors. Driving through farm country makes me wonder how they can get produce to the stores for anything near what we consider reasonable. I wonder how much the government subsidizes farming. They have to till the land, plant seeds, water, apply pesticides or fertilizers, pick produce, package and then ship it. Many of the crops we passed yesterday were covered or seperated with miles of polyurathane sheeting. It's pretty amazing.


We're approaching Los Angeles, we camped in Leo Corrillo Campground in west Malibu last night. The campground fees continue to climb, I think it was $57 for two vehicles last night. Thats the most we've paid so far. Unfortunatly to get enough miles behind us we need to drive long enough that theres not enough daylight to locate dispersed camping.



 We accomplished our first on the road repair last night, Eddie replaced a rear wheel seal on his Rover. Seemed to go without complications, the girls had dinner ready and I had a fire going when he finished.









No comments:

Post a Comment