Friday, November 23, 2012

Blast off!

We finally got outta Seattle Tuesday the 19th about 3pm. Only a little behind schedule, but ahead of the 5 days I originally planned on being in Seattle. Unfortunately, that meant we had to cut a few corners and delay a few projects I wanted to complete on the Donkey until later, I hope I'll have time to get to them soon. It's friday and I haven't done much other than drive so far.


The weather has been chilly and wet, yesterday was the first day it didn't rain most of the day. We're glad both vehicles have awnings, they have came in very handy camping. Right now, camped in Brookings Oregon, I see clear blue skies, it should be a good day. We're cruising through the redwoods today.



One of the projects that was left unfinished was plumbing the heater. It's japanese, so the fuel fitting is metrtic and all we could find in Seattle at the 2 places we checked was standard. I was stressing a bit because it was already after our planned departuyre time and I still had alot to do. Rather than go on a wild goose chase and waste half the afternoon I decided to bag the heater and rough it. It's been in the forties at night, not bad unless you consider I came direct from Hawaii,
the warmest piece of clothing I brought was a hoodie. I've been wearing it every day. Cara at least has a real jacket and a bit more warm clothing, but she's a bit cold blooded anyways, so we're both pretty chilly at night. It's getting warmer every day and we think we can tough it out until warmer nights in SoCal and Mexico.

Yesterday was Thanksgiving, as I mentioned we spent most of it driving. We ate lunch in Newport OR at the Newport Cafe and Cara got her turkey fix, at least a little. It was a little challenging to find restaurants open on turkey day, as was expected. We only put about 70 miles on tuesday and just over 100 wednesday so we put the hammer down thursday. Traffic was very light and despite alot of twisty sewctions of road and reduced speed zones we were able to get almost 300 miles in. That puts us alot closer to on schedule and gives us a little breathing room for checking out the redwoods.

Heres some road pictures....



No comments:

Post a Comment