Monday, September 3, 2012

Road trip

My good friend Eddie was planning on taking an epic roadtrip this winter in his modified Land Rover 109, and talked me into joining him.


Thats Kathryn, Eddies Girlfriend taking the 109 for a test drive after they installed a turbo-diesel motor from a Benz in it.



The idea is to leave Alaska in november and travel to Mexico in time to compete in the 'End of the World Maya Rally' which will end in Bacalar Mexico 12-21-12, along with presumably the rest of the world according to some peoples interpretation of the Mayan Calendar.
If the world continues to turn afterwards (highly doubtful) then we will somehow find our way back into the USA and return to our jobs and attempt to rebuild our life savings in anticipation of the next world ending event.





I originally considered taking my Land Rover Discovery for this trip, but decided that although it was awesome, and likely could survive several waves of zombies, it would probably not be the best vehicle for a 6000+ mile one way trip. Google map it!



Eddie graciously offered to let me borrow one of his Range Rovers, and I began working on it to help it fit it's new role of home to Cara and I for ~ 2 months of awesome camping roadtripedness. I tore the back seats out, trimmed the fenders to clear bigger tires, and mounted an excelent safari style spare to the hood to make more room in the back for a bed etc.

After a long discussion Eddie and Myself decided 2000 miles through Canadia and Alaska in November might not be the most desirable way to begin the end of everything. Ultimately, he decided he'd ferry his vehicle to Washington, and I decided to scrap the Rover idea and purchase a vehicle in the states. After a month of shopping the inter web I finally bought one of these.
You can also see my wife Cara posing beside it unawares of my photographer skills.

1 comment: