Monday, September 3, 2012

Labor Day, Not at Tanacross

For the first Labor Day or Memorial day in the past 8 or so years, I wasn't joining my friends at Tanacross airstrip for some camping and automotive fun. I miss the good times and hope all was well, but I gotta do something!

I decided to take my Samurai and join up with a bunch of jeep folks for some spirited driving in Kuaokala Forest, commonly refered to as 'Peacock Flats'. I had only met 2 of them before, there was a total of about 10 jeeps on this run.







It was a pretty neat series of trails, lots of washouts and holes to traverse. The better your vehicle is able to keep it's wheels on the ground, the better traction you can maintain. This sometimes results in your vehicle looking 'broken'. Seasoned off-roaders appreciate the soft and flexible suspensions.





The Samurai can flex a little when it needs to.












There were a few anxious moments when someone (sometimes me) took the wrong line and ended up in a precarious position.








At the end of the day, all vehicles were able to return home w/o repairs. Always a good sign. It seems the Samurai winch would like a little attention, it'll give me something to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment